Top Local Databases for React Native App Development
1. Realm Database
Realm is a React Native local database, build from scratch for real-time and offline applications that run on smartphones and smart wearable devices. It is an open-source object-oriented database, which makes Realm 10x faster than traditional relational databases, such as SQLite. It can be used as a query-free database.
The developers prefer the Realm database to enhance the React native applications’ performance by handling a vast amount of data. It is a high-performing database and can fix queries better than SQLite or any other database. Overall, Realm is the most favorable database among developers as it is the apt choice for large-size applications.
Benefits of Realm Database
- Its synchronization continues to run in the background to keep the user interaction intact.
- It is offline-friendly with Redux offline.
- It uses various encryption standards for the different mobile platforms.
- It features a wide set of APIs.
Realm is an open-source platform, however, its advanced version will cost nearly around $1800 per month. Its advanced version features Realm Studio and other features for organizations.
2. Firebase Database
Firebase is provided by Google which supports a real-time NoSQL database for React Native. The database enables data synchronization and data modification in offline mode by writing just a few lines of code. It is a suitable database for scalable apps, like transferring data to multiple users at a time without stressing about interruptions.
With Firebase, data synchronization and access is very fast, which makes it convenient for users to access data and files from any part of the world. In addition to that, Firebase also provides web hosting with free Cloud Storage, CDN, and SSL. Such features make Firebase one of the top local databases for React Native App Development.
Firebase is hosted on SSL and is available with easily understandable security rules to ensure end-to-end device connection and keeps client safe. But, it doesn’t store data in encrypted form on the server-side, which makes it prone to theft and security threats. Therefore, the Firebase database is not preferred when users have to store sensitive data.
Benefits of Firebase Database
- Keeps all client’s data in sync in real-time and enables to implement the real-time subscription.
- It has free access to SSL and CDN layers, which makes hosting with cloud storage easier.
- Provides a seamless data transfer experience, as the user doesn’t have to stress about data breakage at any stage.
- Using Firebase and Firestone at the back-end, the database scaling becomes very handy.
Firebase, a React Native local database doesn’t charge any amount for 1GB of data storage. Further, it charges $25 for 2.5GB of storage. It also provides a pay-as-you package for the user who requires a definite storage space.
3. SQLite Database
SQLite is a well-designed and grounded database for react native, which provides a decent amount of local storage to applications. It is a relational database management system that fulfils the storage requirement of mobile applications. The prefix “lite” in SQLite defines it as a lightweight library-based database that requires minimal setup.
The SQLite supports data encryption with an extension i.e. SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE). However, it requires a one-time fee license to use the extension. Apart from that, the SQLite can execute queries extremely quickly. While performing basic operations i.e. CRUD operations in SQLite, the user can execute the Begin and End operations for a single DML code statement to achieve better performance in each transaction.
Benefits of SQLite Database
- It is a lightweight database and can also be used for embedded software development.
- The SQLite React Native local database is very cost-effective and can be updated by using concise SQL queries.
- In the SQLite database, the data exists longer than the code, hence it makes it easier for developers to extract data in case of loss.
- It is a highly reliable database and is very compatible with almost every leading programming language.
React Native local database SQLite is an open-source platform, but it charges $6,000 as a one-time fee for its license version access.
CouchDB protocol and storage mechanism are used to build PouchDB. Hence, the React Native developers consider CouchDB the most reliable server-side database to work with PouchDB. Other than CouchDB, the PouchDB React Native Database is also compatible with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and MySQL server-side databases.
CouchDB has an in-built authentication system to secure the data easily for React Native. It also facilitates storing the password in the most complex form with the PBKDF2 crypto algorithm to protect encryption keys from attack.
Benefits of PouchDB Database
- It helps to sync data with any supported server.
- It is derived from CouchDB protocols and enables both online and offline capacities.
- It supports SSL to encrypt the data easily with AES256.
- It supports replicating data like an expert.
All the development and version updates related details on PouchDB are publicly available on the GitHub platform and is an open-source platform i.e. free to use.
WatermelonDB is quite similar to SQLite and is often considered a local database for React Native App Development. The database can handle millions of records accurately and precisely without compromising its speed at all. Overall, it is the most suitable local database for React Native app because it can seamlessly handle data on varied devices. As per its official Github repository, the WatermelonDB is optimized for developing complex applications in React Native while focusing on real-world performance.
The local database for React Native is completely justifiable, which demonstrates that whenever a slight change is witnessed in the data, then all the concerned user interfaces will re-render themselves immediately. The WatermelonDB also supports static typing efficiently, thus the developers working on TypeScript used to face almost negligible issues with it.
Benefits of WatermelonDB
- Integrating engine with the offline-first system.
- Static Typing with Flow.
- Simple data plugging into components.
- Renders UI automatically when any edits or updates are made into the database.
It is an open-source database platform and is free to use.
6. Vasern Database
Vasern is an open-source, fast, and lightweight database for React Native App Development. The Vasern API works not only with react native or local data storage but also for cloud storage and syncing across the app’s client. It is built from a powerful server-side language i.e. Golang powered by Google.
Its design and structure take inspiration from various open-source databases. It can provide an efficient solution with robust database capabilities, an extensive test suite, a native UI component-oriented design, and an advanced data validation engine. Additionally, it provides an event-based data synchronization system that is integrated with other React Native components.
Benefits of Vasern Database
- It supports basic data types, such as int, double, string, datetime, and reference.
- It majorly focuses on the performance and consistency of an application.
- It supports developer-friendly end-to-end database integration features.
- It uses UTF-8 encoding and supports languages.
It is an open-source React Native database platform and is free to use.