For developers, the introduction of the concept of frameworks is no less than a boon. These frameworks are equipped with actual programs based on which the software is built. The frameworks provide ready-made components and libraries to fasten the overall development process.
In this reference, PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a web development programming language, which is stuffed with a great number of frameworks facilitating different dimensions. Now, PHP is a widely used web development programming language. It is responsible for almost 79% of the websites globally as a server-side programming language.
The popularization of PHP for web development is because of the availability of a wide range of high-quality web development frameworks. Despite that many consider PHP as a dead web development language, however, Google search trends narrate quite an opposite story. Well, this debate is unending, however, rest assured that PHP is not dying anytime soon.
Based on the ongoing trend, it is clear that many websites are preferring PHP, and using the PHP framework is undoubtedly a good decision. But the question is which could be the best PHP framework that can fulfill your business specifics.
To minimize your struggle, we have distilled down the top PHP frameworks that you can choose to optimize your business processes in the best possible manner!
Top 5 PHP Frameworks for Web Development in 2023
Laravel is an open-source web development framework. It was developed by ‘Taylor Otwell’ and released in June 2011.
It can handle complex web apps with high security and comparatively faster than other PHP frameworks. Hence, with the Laravel framework, authentication, routing, session, caching, etc. operations can be handled easily. There are many Laravel web development companies that claim to provide all such operations and build a unique solution.
- Laravel makes scalable web development and provides more high-security features than other PHP frameworks.
- Websites developed on the Laravel framework are highly secure, easy, and resistant to numerous web attacks.
- It includes namespace and interfaces, that support organizing and managing a variety of resources.
- Laravel framework can reuse the existing components from the different frameworks that minimize the overall web development timeline.
- It saves a lot of testing time and resources by supporting automation testing.
- The Laravel framework uses its template engine i.e. ORM and Blade called Eloquent.
Companies Using Laravel Framework for their Web Development
- Pfizer, etc.
CodeIgniter is a web development framework with small footprints of merely 2MB of size (including the documentation). This makes it quicker than other PHP frameworks. It was developed by ‘EllisLab’ and is released in February 2006.
CodeIgniter is not entirely dependent on the MVC framework. Without a doubt, it is one of the oldest frameworks, which supports quicker and high-quality performance. This PHP framework is apt for dynamic website development. It is equipped with a wide range of prebuilt modules that support robust platform development and reusable components. It also offers quality error management and easy-to-read documentation.
- It performs quick operations based on database processes as compared to other frameworks.
- It is a great framework for beginners to work with because of its easy installation process and well documentation.
- It offers built-in security tools.
- CodeIgniter framework provides exceptional performance.
- It offers valuable features that enable to provide a secured web application from external threats, such as remote code execution, SQL injection, and cross-site scripting attacks.
Companies Using CodeIgniter Framework for their Web Development
- Medical Guardian
- Grindr, etc.
Symfony is a modular-based PHP framework and is most suitable for large-scale corporate applications. It was introduced by ‘Fabian Potencier’ in 2005. It is an open-source PHP framework sponsored by SensioLabs.
It is an extensive PHP MVC framework, it can easily integrate with PHP Unit and independent libraries. It is mostly the first preference of developers because of the availability of reusable components and libraries. By using these tools, authentication, object configuration, templating, and other varied tasks can be done easily. Symfony framework is used to build not only apps, but also web apps, microservices, and APIs too.
- It uses open-source Doctrine ORM for database operations and is one of the most suitable alternatives to write repetitive SQL codes.
- Symphony supports a variety of databases, including Oracle, MySql, SQL Server, SQLite, SAP Sybase, etc.
- It is highly flexible and can integrate with big projects like Drupal.
- It uses Twig templating engine, which is fast, secure, and easy to learn.
- It is equipped with a robust and flexible debugging toolbar that displays all the required details to make debugging simple.
- It’s quick to deploy Symphony, hence it doesn’t require any time or effort on manual deployment or developing an automated deployment.
Companies Using Symphony Framework for their Web Development
- Sony VAIO UK website, etc.
CakePHP is a rapid-development PHP framework modelled after Ruby on Rails. It was released under the MIT license in April 2005. It is an open-source web development framework that follows ORM techniques and is based on MVC architecture.
It is an easy-to-learn web framework, as it is a CRUD framework, i.e. Create, Read, Update, and Delete. CakePHP framework follows CoC (Convention over Configuration) approach which defines the coding guidelines that developers need to follow. It is equipped with a huge number of libraries, which is considered one of the most diverse collections of useful components. The PHP developers can build scalable and secure web apps for different industries, such as eCommerce, social networks, and digital collaboration platforms.
- CakePHP is simple to set up on a device. It requires simply a copy of the framework and a web server.
- It supports different renowned design patterns like Front Controller, Associative Data Mapping, etc.
- CakePHP leverage scaffolding and code generation feature of rapid prototype or MVP development. The scaffolding technique enables to access databases easily or generate codes using some high-level tools.
- It supports numerous security features, including input validation, SQL injection prevention, cross-site scripting (XSS), and cross-site request forgery (CSRF) protection, which makes it an incredible option for business applications.
- It also offers exceptional documentation, and a wide range of supporting sites, and extends premium assistance via Cake Development Corporation.
Companies Using CakePHP Framework for their Web Development
- Glen Raven
- InSync Solutions
- House Party
- Blendtec, etc.
Yii is an open-source, high-performing PHP framework for developing web apps rapidly. It is simply pronounced as Yee or Ji – which means simple and evolutionary. It also stands for, ‘Yes it is’! Yii – The PHP framework was released in 2008.
It is a fast, flexible, and a secure PHP framework for web development, and specifically extends its brilliant support in building MVC architecture websites. Yii is a strict object-oriented PHP framework and requires an understanding of polymorphism, inheritance, etc. The documentation of the Yii framework is very well prepared and organized. This not only helps to learn about how to build an app, but the user can also learn about working with databases, MVC patterns, and other functionalities.
- Yii has easy-to-follow guides for implementing different types of caching, such as data caching, page caching, query caching, HTTP caching, fragment caching, etc. All of this is suitable for server-side caching to client-side in-browser caching.
- This framework also provides guidelines and framework for boosting security by implementing authorization, password handling, authentication, trusted proxies, cryptographic features, and headers.
- It is quite a flexible PHP framework that allows developers to modify every line of code. Hence, it could take some time for beginners to have a grasp of it.
- Yii is developed by specialists and a team of core developers. Even, one can submit the issues they are facing while developing on the Yii forums and receives assistance and support from the large community.
- MVP and prototype can be developed rapidly on the GII2 code generator provided by the Yii framework to implement CRUD operations on the database.
Companies Using Yii Framework for their Web Development
PHP framework simplifies the web development process and supports reducing the workload. Each PHP framework is equipped with its strengths and weaknesses, which vary in the context of the database, documentation, and community they support.
We hope the blog is precisely providing all the vital details of the top 5 PHP frameworks for web development in the market. However, to get the most out of the PHP framework, and avoid errors, and frustration, ensure to have a decent knowledge of the PHP framework and its concept.
Apart from that, if you are having a hard time selecting the right PHP framework for web development or looking for an expert PHP web development company, then hire Codiant to answer all your business requirements and you can’t go wrong with this.