“Right moves for the big ambitions”- Learning management system (LMS) is the right choice at this right time. Given Covid effects and the K-shaped recovery, LMS solution has fittingly backed the sinking education and learning industry while keeping the interactivity and engagement in the check.
The growth-oriented online learning platform—functioning specifically in the areas of IT sectors, Universities, Colleges and digital driven organizations has been resilient enough to boost and encourage the remote learning model.
In keeping with the times, there’re plenty good credits that the software has offered. Many organizations opted to integrate LMS software for training and educating employee’s occasionally. Many existing businesses experienced huge growth through online remote learning, whereas many took the opportunity to enter into the e-learning market and develop LMS software for monetary heavy lifting.
According to Fortune Business Insights, in 2020 the global Learning Management System market size was USD 10.84 billion. Then the impact of COVID-19 shoots up the growth of 23.8% in 2020 as compared to the average growth during 2017-2019. Now, the projected market growth is from USD 13.38 billion to USD 44.49 billion, at a CAGR of 18.7% during the 2021-2028 period.
LMS platforms are the foundation of digital learning, where users can get a variety of courses and manage their learning programs. To develop such an app, multiple aspects needed to be considered, most importantly its features, technologies, and cost. If you are looking for such details to develop an LMS software, then read ahead.
What is Learning Management System (LMS)?
A Learning Management System (also known as LMS), is a digital platform that automates the learning process of any individual. On this platform, the content can be created and managed to deliver an e-learning environment. Not only the schools and colleges, even organizations are now preferring LMS software in their organizations to manage their online learning programs.
Such platforms can connect learners from any part of the globe, create digital classrooms for students, train employees to enhance their skills, handle compliance issues, and manage policies. The LMS platforms even allow companies to create groups of learners based on their job positions or functioning’s. Whereas, the schools can aim to connect teachers and their students to streamline the teaching and learning process.
There are different ways to integrate learning management systems in the work environment. As per stats, 93% of organizations prefer online learning, whereas the rest like to use user-generated content, enterprise social networks, or gaming method.
On Learning Management System, the learner can get a variety of content with different functionalities, such as videos, audio, and text documents. Through the digital mode of learning, the platforms can manage, document, track, and record the entire learning process. The major idea behind the Learning Management System App Development was to make learning easy and quick to reach, affordable for a wide range of people, and tracking the learning progress at the same time.
Benefits of LMS Software
1. Effective Learning Assessment
During the learning process, the Mentee/Learner can track their learning progress and test their learnings through customized tests & quizzes, and as a result, get automated grading. These tests provide some grades and based on that the Mentor can also analyze and evaluate the mentee’s performance.
2. Motivates Learners with Personalized Learning
Mentor and Mentee can connect individually through the LMS software to clear the doubts, query resolving, discussion over the performance, suggestions for other complementary courses, and many more. Mentor can motivate and boost their learning process with personalized learning assistance.
3. Interactive & Engaging Courses
The learning course could be a combination of video, audio, images, and texts, which makes the learning process quite engaging. Apart from that, Mentors and Mentees can engage in one-on-one or group discussions which results to interactive learning with a personalized experience.
4. LMS is Consistent & Flexible
Mentees can have a consistent learning standard regardless of their location, language, and time. Each Mentee gets a consistent learning experience on their convenience and time flexibility.
5. Make Data-driven Decisions with Built-in Analytics
The learning management system app development company can integrate in-app analysis of Mentors and Mentees, such as grades, success rate, teaching and learning progress, etc. The well-drafted data supports to deduce meaningful solutions to overcome any shortcomings in terms of teaching and learning.
6. Time and Cost-Efficient
The LMS applications are highly time and cost-efficient for mentor and mentee both at the same time. The mentor doesn’t have to repeat the same lecture again-n-again or doesn’t require to move from their place to address the class. Once the course classes are created; they are sorted. Likewise, mentees can attend or join any suitable course to take forward the learning process on their convenience and from any part of the globe. Thus, mentor and mentee can save their time and money during the entire learning process.
7. Instant and Latest Course Access
The LMS apps or software allow instant access for Mentors to update the information or courses so that Mentees can always get the latest and correct information to upgrade their learnings without any delay.
8. Enhances Learning with Minimum Resources
The learning management system works as a centralized platform where the learner can explore a variety of courses and find the most suitable one. All this becomes accessible with minimum resources i.e., smartphone, or computer system with internet connectivity.
Types of Learning Management System
1. Cloud-based LMS
The cloud-based LMS works on cloud computing, where the data can be accessed from the cloud through Internet while using the organizations’ or personal hardware and infrastructure. The cloud-based LMS is quite effective in remote learning. The cloud services enable LMS service providers to charge only for the accessed features which results in saving money.
2. Self-Hosted LMS
In self-hosted LMS, the user has to download the software from the server or provide a physical disc to set up the LMS system on the user’s computers. Once the user purchased and installed the software, can use the software as much as they want. As compared to online solutions, the self-hosted LMS usually have better security due to limited and authorized user access.
3. Desktop App
A desktop app should be installed on the desktop. Through the suitable tool, multiple users can connect their desktop devices by establishing a network between each device. These connected users can communicate and interact within the group during the learning process and can even discuss their doubts or queries.
4. Web-based LMS
The web-based LMS doesn’t require any installation or integration, the user just needs to hit the right portal and can access the platform through internet availability. Such platforms are highly scalable and can easily integrate new technologies as the tech advancement in the market. The platforms can be accessed instantly on multiple devices in real-time.
How to Build a Learning Management System from Scratch?
The Learning Management System App Development comprises multiple phases, so don’t try to skip any of it to get into the app development. The development of an app is based on multiple preliminary steps that need to be followed to develop an exceptional e-learning platform.
Let’s explore all the relevant steps in detail to understand their importance and design the customized LMS solution.
Step 1: Start with LMS App Development Planning & Ideation
There are a great number and variety of Learning Management System that exists in the market. So, it is the major building block to define the existence of such a platform in the future. Some major points that you can consider are as follows:
- Study the existing market and analyze which type of LMS solution you like to develop.
- Research about the existing competitors in the market demographically.
- Define your target market and study the needs of the market, along with some feasible solutions.
- Deduce the budget that you like to spend on Custom Learning Management System App Development.
- Ideate your business plan that you like to introduce in the market along with the types of devices your platform will support.
Step 2: Define User Roles
An LMS platform comprises definite users that have certain authorities and allows to use the features and functionality of the platform. In laymen’s terms, the Learning Management System for any education or corporate industry comprises; Mentor, Mentee, and Administrator. Let’s understand all three user roles in brief.
- Mentor: A mentor can create or design a course, update, and edit as well. Under a specific course, a mentor can track the number of enrolments, mark attendance, manage and upload training or learning material (in the form of video, audio, text, and images), view course reports, and manage course layout. A mentor can also track all the relevant details of every course he/she owns. Along with that can check mentees’ performances, and overall registered learners.
- Mentee: A mentee is the app user, who registers for the suitable course with some basic permissions and platform-dependent requisites. The user can view all the available courses, often divided under suitable categories to make the search easier. A mentee can view and register in the course to enhance their learnings, track their learning progress through exams and quizzes.
- Administrator: The administrator can manage both mentor and mentee, courses, and all the varied aspects of the platform. Admin can handle the app activities, features, offers, settings, etc.
Step 3: Core Features That You Can Integrate Into Your Custom LMS App Development
As we learned above, an LMS platform comprises three users, these users have different apps and features, which collectively make an LMS system. Let’s briefly understand the core features that being an entrepreneur, you can integrate into your custom LMS App Development.
- Register/Login: To register or log in as a mentor, enter some basic details with email id and password.
- Mentor Profile: Mentor can provide all the relevant details, experience, expertise, industry, etc., and can update the details at any time.
- Personalized Sessions: The mentor can schedule and monitor all the existing, upcoming, previous, and canceled sessions with any Mentee or Mentor, along with the date, time, duration, and other details.
- Group Sessions: The mentor can schedule and track all the group sessions under different categories with details.
- Participant List: The mentor can view the list of all the participants registered under the course, personalized session, and group session with all the details and time.
- Search: Mentor can search all the registered mentors, mentees, courses, etc.
- Chat Assistance: The mentor can interact with mentees through messages to resolve their queries, provide course assistance and other details.
- Calendar: Mentor can schedule all their sessions and appointments on the calendar in advance to receive prior notification and schedule other appointments accordingly.
- Notification: Mentor will receive in-app and email (if subscribed) reminders for sessions, new mentor/mentee, offers/discounts, etc.
- Progress Analysis: Mentor track the progress and assessments of all the registered mentees on his/her sessions.
- Online Payment: Mentor can make payments, view payment history, and track all the received payment details from the mentee.
- Register/Login: To register or log in as a mentee, enter some basic details with email id and password.
- Mentee Profile: Mentee can provide all the relevant educational details, working, and industry experience (if any), etc. and can update the details at any time.
- Course List: Mentee can view all the available courses, details, mentor, active, ongoing, and upcoming courses, etc.
- Search: Mentee can search specialized mentors, courses, industries, etc. to find the most relevant course easily.
- Community: Mentee can join the community for specific industries or courses to discuss and learn with like-minded people.
- Assessments: Mentee can analyze their learnings through tests, assessments, or quizzes during the course.
- Chatbot: Mentee can chat with mentor and mentees through text messages to carry out discussions, or request for one-on-one sessions.
- Notification: Mentee can get in-app and mail notifications to have the reminder for sessions, new courses, tests, etc.
- Online Payment: To learn and register for the specific course, the mentee can make online payments through multiple modes and can track all the previous transactions.
- Feedback & Reviews: Mentee can share their ratings and feedback about the course and the platform individually.
- Register/Login: Admin can register or log in with some basic details, email id, and password.
- Manage Mentor and Mentee: Admin can add or remove mentors, and have a detailed list of all mentee’s and mentors.
- Content Management: Content is important to LMS platforms, so the admin can verify and allow the content that can be published on the platform.
- Surveys: Admin can introduce and withdraw different surveys to analyze the user’s experience with the platform, and mentor/mentee, facing any problem, or something positive about the platform.
- Statistics and Achievements: Admin can track the progress and activities of the mentor and mentee. It helps to formulate strategies and market the LMS app properly.
- Security: Security is the major concern for any e-learning platform. So, the admin can monitor, edit, or remove courses from the learning management system.
- Skill and Certification Tracking: The admin can track the number of certificates issued to the mentee, their performance, and skills learned.
Step 4: Hire LMS App Development Company & Define Tech-Stack
To develop a user-centric customized LMS platform the right team of developers is required, otherwise getting traction from the audience would be a tough nut to crack. Hire a professional Learning Management System App Development Company to develop a top-class system.
With Development Company you can get business analysts, designers, developers, quality assurance experts, and project manager under one roof. It will save your time, avoid risk, and deploy a quality final product.
Discuss, the project details with the development company, it will help you to deduce a rough estimate of your custom LMS app development budget. Decide the platform and tech stack suitable for your LMS requirements both for the front-end and back-end development.
The selection of tech-stack can build or destroy a project. So keeping all the aspects in mind, including the perfect development workflow, the tech-stack that can be used for an LMS app development are underpinned.
- Frameworks – React, Angular, Vue.JS
- App Languages – Android- Kotlin, Java, iOS- Swift
- Frameworks – React native, Amplify, Material UI
- Frameworks – Express, Spring, Django, Flask, Play
- SQL- MySQL, Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- NoSQL- Apache, MongoDB, Cassandra, AWS DynamoDB, Google Cloud Big Table, AWS Timestream, Apache HBase
Cloud Storage: AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure
- E-commerce – WooCommerce, Drupal, Shopify
- CRM – Salesforce, Zoho CRM, HubSpot
- CMS – Joomla, WordPress, Wix, Magento, Squarespace
Step 5: Design UI/UX of Learning Management System
The interactive, responsive, and user-friendly design of the learning system is the major key factor that leads to success. The website should perform precisely on all sizes of user screens i.e., desktop, tablet, and smartphones. Design should be responsive to all operating systems and multiple browsers, if you are aiming to target a wide user base at a time.
The learning management system is not only learner/mentee oriented, so ensure all users have an intuitive experience, whether it is a mentor, admin, or mentee. Not only this, the platform should have attractive and engaging color combinations, which allows users to spend more time with the platform and stay focused.
It will provide a detailed view of how the final product is going to be and how it will work. So, it is yet another crucial step that needs to be taken care of very cautiously, based on the proposed design the developers are going to develop the learning management system.
Step 6: Test and Deploy the LMS Platform
A heavy and complex platform development requires more time and a lot of effort in terms of development and testing. To develop an accurate final product, precision is required while developing and testing. Evidently, it may require multiple iterations to achieve the satisfactory final product. So, before the app deployment, the LMS system must go through a detailed testing to ensure that the product meets all the requirements.
Multiple types of testing are implemented to maintain the accuracy and deployment of a bug-free learning management system on respective platforms. Each platform has specific conditions that needed to be fulfilled then only the app gets published and available for end-users.
Step 7: Gather Feedback and Improve Your Learning Management System
Custom Learning Management System App Development is a never-ending process, there is always a scope for improvement or introduction of updates. Therefore, after app deployment first and foremost look for reviews and feedback from the users.
The user feedback is the most genuine review that one can expect. So consider all the feedback periodically and evaluate every remark and plan to implement relevant updates or changes to the platform. It will help to gain loyal and satisfied users, which will make your LMS app journey quite smooth in the highly competitive e-learning market.
It is important to monitor and observe your competitors as well as user feedback. Ultimately, the details will support you to understand the problem and figure out the easy and unique problem resolution.
Cost of Custom Learning Management System App Development
The cost of a custom learning management system app development relies on multiple factors, it includes Platform (Android and iOS), developing an app from scratch, or using a ready-made app clone.
While defining the development cost, we consider the custom LMS app development for different types of e-learning applications. Let’s take one-by-one.
- Language Learning Apps- The most popular LMS app under this category is ‘Duolingo’. Therefore, to develop an average sized e-Learning app development cost ranges from $40,000 and more.
- Corporate LMS Apps- Learning is not only confined to schools and colleges, but nowadays big corporates also require such automated learning systems to save time and minimize manpower. The average development cost for a Corporate LMS solution ranges between $3,000 to $20,000 and more.
- Educational Apps for Different Individuals- It is another popular e-learning solution which covers a wide range of age groups under various industries, colleges, professors, etc. One of the popular apps under this category is ‘Coursera’. To develop such an average size educational app solution, the cost may range between $10,000 to $35,000 and more.
- Kids’ Education App- Such types of apps usually cater to students from the pre-primary section to senior secondary group or the school going students only. The popular platform under this category is ‘Khan Academy’. The development charges of such an LMS solution averagely costs $28,000 and more.
Transform Your LMS Idea into a Successful Product
Learning Management Systems are a great tool for schools, colleges, organizations, and businesses to educate and train students or employees. Connect with learners virtually from anywhere and anytime. If you intend to get into building a customized learning management system, then connect with us to discuss your requirements and delivering the solution.
Codiant provides an end-to-end development solution, rather than simply acting as a software provider. We work in collaboration with our clients to build the customized Learning Management System solution.