How Much Does It Costs To Develop A Grocery Delivery App?
Table of Contents
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
“They want great prices and wants great service as well.” You are already running late if you’ve still not transitioned to door-to-door delivery strategy from the grocery aisle.
There is a mad rush in “Grocery Delivery App Development” companies and according to a report from eMarketer, this frenetic pace seems to be unstoppable.
- What is an online grocery delivery app?
- The ultimate guide to create a grocery delivery app- key features included
- Types of grocery business model
- Top market players in grocery delivery
- Benefits of making a grocery delivery app
- Discussing the grocery app development cost
What Is An Online Grocery Delivery App?
When your fridge is running out of foodstuffs, and you’re too busy to run an errand, holding a smartphone to use a grocery app is an easy solution. Online grocery shopping apps help people in ordering grocery products from mobile app anywhere, anytime. The order gets delivered at the doorsteps.
How to Create a Grocery Delivery App
One of the biggest reasons for the growth of grocery app usage is convenience. Nielsen points out: “Functionality and ease of use should be top priorities in app and website design, help should be readily available, and the checkout process should be simple and secure.”
Today, shoppers want apps that are easy in navigation and simple to understand.
The UI design and customer experience can make or break a shopper’s experience. To curb out this risk we at Codiant have minutely crafted the desirable objectives of a grocery app whose features displays regular sense of authenticity and its design wins the confidence of a customer. Let’s understand precisely.
Customer/User App Key Features
- User Profile: User can easily create an account by phone no, email id or any social login.
- Search Products: User can search grocery products by category, subcategory or by entering keywords in the search panel.
- Browse Products: List down, select and view product descriptions, details of any product.
- Schedule Delivery: Users can schedule a preferred delivery time as per the different time slots available.
- Cancel Request: Users should be given liberty to cancel the request within a short time period may be 5 minutes.
- Order Tracking: Users can track order based on service like order accepted, getting packed, deliverer reached the pick-up location, collected the package, on the way to drop off location and reached.
- Make Payment: Multiple payment gateway integration allows users to make payment via cards, eWallet, COD or net banking.
- Tip Deliverer (Optional): If quick deliveries, good behavior and service delights customers, they can tip the deliverer in the app itself.
- Avail Offers: Every user vie for an offer, discount, coupon codes etc. to cut down the cost. Through this admin can giveaway interesting deals and offers.
- Give Feedback: If the user enjoyed the whole process right from picking a product to getting it delivered; app can prompt them to rate the experience and share the feedback.
Deliverer App Key Features
- The delivery boy receives a delivery order notification
- Views order detail
- View customer’s location on map
- Accept/Reject the order request
- View complete customer details when accepting the order and can call them if necessary
- Message to customer
- Update their location status
- Pick order and drop order to the delivery address
- Make payment to grocer/supermarket retailer
- Take payment from customers (if COD)
- Receive feedback and rating from customers and retailers
- Manage account to check total accepted or cancelled order, no. of jobs done and sales made.
Admin Panel Key Features
- Dashboard: A dashboard gives a god-view to manage and track all the orders.
- Management: Admin can manage accounts, categories, subcategories, products, retailers (if an aggregator model), customers, and drivers.
- Manage Order status: Admin can check the current status of the order and update it on the app say like if it is confirmed, pending, canceled or complete.
- Manage Review and Rating: The admin has full authority to manage customer comments for a deliverer, app, services, retailer etc.
- Manage Notifications: App notifications to be sent to users can be managed under this feature. For instance, order confirmed, order details along with arrival time, order status is pending or “on the way”, order successfully delivered, driver accepted the order request and about to reach, promotional and offers notifications etc.
- Manage Reports: Admin can manage total registered and active customers, retailers, and deliverers (online by area on map and their availability with status).
- Push Notifications
- Inventory Management
- Customer Support
- Real-time Analytics
- Communication through SMS, chats and emails.
Note: The aforementioned key features are listed for the grocery store or grocery chain owner business model. They are subjected to change for aggregator business model!
Business Model of Online Grocery Stores
1. Brick & Mortar and Store-pick Model
This model is typically followed by those grocery retail or wholesale companies which either have existing grocery stores, like Tesco, or those which have partnered with supermarkets, like Grocers, also known as aggregator model.
In aggregator model, brands partners with existing supermarkets to collect orders and then deliver them as per their preferred delivery system. This model relatively has a low cost since there are no additional warehouse costs, and the goods are easily available at the supermarket the company has partnered with.
2. Pure-Play and Warehouse Pick Model
This model is followed by companies, like Freshdirect, who do not have any brick and mortar grocery store neither they partner from any supermarket. Instead they directly buy from producers/manufacturers, and operate their own warehouses where they stock the products.
3. Hybrid Model
This model is the aggregation of both store-pick model and warehouse-pick model. Example of it is Peapod- having no store of its own. But in some cities in U.S it has partnered with existing supermarkets to pick and deliver groceries.
Benefits of Making a Grocery Delivery App
Cost to Create an On-demand Grocery Delivery App
Though the cost of creating a grocery delivery app depends upon several factors like no. of platforms, features and functionalities, pricing model, APIs (if any), etc. you can always request a ballpark figure from the best grocery delivery app development company.
The approximate cost to develop a grocery delivery app ranges somewhere in between USD 18,000-30,000
If you’re in a hurry you can also go for a grocery delivery app script or a ready-made grocery delivery app. These types of white-label solutions help you in taking your brick-and-mortar stores online in no time. Just customize it with your requirements and res-skin with your own branding elements.
Want To Get Your Own Custom Grocery Delivery App Developed?
Read our thoughts and insights on the latest tech and business trends
- February 22, 2024
Work can sometimes feel like a complex puzzle, especially when it comes to managing people. But fret not! HRMS, or Human Resource Management System—a handy digital tool is designed to make HR tasks a whole... Read more
- February 21, 2024
Efficient revenue management is crucial for sustainability and growth in the healthcare sector. Custom software solutions tailored to the unique needs of healthcare providers have emerged as a game-changer in streamlining revenue processes. Custom software... Read more
- February 19, 2024
Ever wondered why some start-ups thrive while others tank? It's not just about a unique idea, tight deadlines, or fancy marketing. The real key? The discovery and planning phase. This blog spills the beans on... Read more