Meet the Retail 4.0: The Future of Grocery Delivery in 2020-21
Published April 13, 2020
The Category Killers
If you’re still thinking that developing an online grocery store means standing shoulder to shoulder with technology then stop giving yourself a false comfort. The advancements in grocery delivery are radically changing.
Rethink the all-inclusive buildup of grocery delivery app that you own and now segment all its components to make money through different facets.
Consequently, the grocery delivery gets segmented into-
- Home delivery: Door-to-door delivery of grocery items.
- Click-and-collect: Order from the app and collect it from the store.
- Drive-through delivery: Order from the app and get it delivered into your car as you arrive in place.
- Centralized lockers: When the order arrives it’s placed into the self-service lockers (usually in the residential buildings and offices) which a user can open through a one-time unique code and collect his/her package without the bound of time. Now segment the grocery basket and create your online category killers. For instance, you can have your eCommerce shop having category concentration like grains.com, soaps.com, hygiene.com.
Beyond Price and Convenience
Price, convenience, and an assortment of goods will no longer be enough in 2020-21. Start seeking new ways to entertain shoppers, engage customers and think about the axis between online shopping and in-store shopping.
2020-21 opens the door to new and different innovative delivery models that can lure shoppers and can offer a compelling customer experience.
The flourishing innovatory models we’ve come across are:
- Drive-thru pick-up and drop boxes: Customers can pick the orders on their way without having to leave their car.
- Virtual grocery stores: Virtual displays of the most popular products with barcodes that customers can scan using the grocery app on their smartphones and get delivered right on their doorstep.
- Same-day delivery: Offering same-day delivery of grocery, home goods, and other FMCG products can build a stronger reliance between customers and retailers.
The Power of Digital Marketing
The powerful existence of social media had flourished and have become a part and parcel of life. Twitter campaigns, hashtags have opened new avenues to revolutionary changes and turned out to be a house of ideas incubation for trending brands. Being super-active on social media, building relationships with customers by being vocal and leveraging its significance the right way can help brands evolve and develop amicable personalities online.
Taking Grocery App Development a Step Further
Advancements in the checkout process when the shopper completes their shopping should be quick, easy and simplified.
Bid adieu to the credit/debit card payment options and give way to mobile payment technologies that reduce the time for customers and cut their operating expenses. The major ones include:
- NFC technologies : Near field communications allows two wireless devices in close proximity to connect to each other. With this customers can make the transaction without using a credit card.
- Mobile Wallet Integration : Integrating a mobile wallet in a grocery app can help customers make quick payments in the app.
- Scan and Go service : An app that allows customers to scan items as they shop allowing them to pay at the check-out without unloading their cart.
The Increasing Influence of Big Data
The power of big data for a retailer has no limits. From capturing and aggregating to storing and analyzing the technology has the potent to improvise inventory forecasting by recording sales history, analyzing consumer behavior and buying patterns, developing customer loyalty and deciding which product to keep depending upon the local demographics.
Retail 4.0 will compel retailers to give an entirely new shopping experience to grocery shoppers and evolve rapidly. Retailers that do not meet these expectations will lose traffic.
Table of Contents
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Read our thoughts and insights on the latest tech and business trends
- September 22, 2023
Agricultural advancement today is as important as technological growth because it is the source of feeding the huge population residing all around. Today, every farmer needs expert skills in using fertilizers, insecticides, soil maintenance, planting,... Read more
- September 20, 2023
Just a few years ago, the idea of talking to voice assistants was like talking about any science fiction that cannot be real. But today, voice search is a part of life. Anyone can speak... Read more
- September 19, 2023
In recent years, precision agriculture has gained prominence within the agricultural industry. This approach integrates artificial intelligence (AI) and data-driven insights to revolutionize traditional farming methods. Precision agriculture is increasingly recognized for its role in... Read more